Mar 07, 2010 08:25 PM EST
Disney's Alice In Wonderland Slays the Box Office
The perfect amalgamation of story, special affects, acting, and directing created history this weekend. And our favorite Pirate turned Mad Hatter, Johnny Depp, helped to create it, with the feature film Disney's Alice in Wonderland.
Let's take a look at the facts:
Alice in Wonderland….
- earned an estimated mammoth $210.3 million worldwide.
- domestic earnings (US) figured in at $116.3 million at 3,728 screens to become the highest-grossing first quarter opener
- has the highest three-day, non-holiday bow for a non-sequel film in the U.S.
- Overseas, "Alice" earned $94 million at 5,600 screens
- Debut on 188 Imax location bringing in 70% of the film's total domestic earnings.
- is Tim Burton's best opening weekend of his career. His second biggest weekend $68.5 million for 2001's Planet of the Apes.
- is Johnny Depp's second-biggest box-office opening. His first another Disney product Pirates of the Caribbean sequel, Dead Man's Chest, bowed with more money ($135.6 million).
In the words of Disney executive Chuck Viane "It was bonkers."
comments powered by Disqus