Oct 30, 2017 04:30 PM EST
Netflix Cancels House of Cards Amidst Kevin Spacey Sexual Harassment Allegations
In the wake of the sexual harassment allegations against Kevin Spacey, made by Anthony Rapp, Netflix has decided to pull House of Cards from its streaming service.
Netflix will air the show's upcoming sixth season but will cancel after that.
In an interview, Rapp said, "My memory was that I thought, ‘Oh, everybody's gone. Well, yeah, I should probably go home. He said Spacey "sort of stood in the doorway, kind of swaying. My impression when he came in the room was that he was drunk … He picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don't, like, squirm away initially, because I'm like, ‘What's going on?' And then he lays down on top of me." He continued, saying, "He was trying to seduce me. I don't know if I would have used that language. But I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually."
"Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night's news concerning Kevin Spacey. In response to last night's revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time", said both companies in a joint statement.
Spacey responded in a statement, saying, "I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years." Spacey then proceeded to out himself as a gay man in what some are considering extremely inappropriate timing.
House of Cards is responsible for launching Netflix's original programming into orbit back in 2013. The sixth and final season is slated for a mid-2018 release.
comments powered by Disqus