Dec 28, 2011 07:59 PM EST
FlickDirect's John Delia Reflects On His Top Films of 2011
In 2011 I saw nearly 250 films, not counting the Independent offers viewed at film festivals or sent to my home for comment. This was no year to brag about with too many sequels, enough superhero's to save two planets, repetitious storylines, not enough good drama, a lot of raunchy romance with more skin and sex than in an art house, very few box-office blowouts, a small number of good acting newcomers, and some bad performances by our legends.
The following are my winners for the best of 2011 each selected for their uniqueness and strong presentation that provides enjoyable entertainment.
- DRIVE- Excellent all around and a plus factored for the acting.
- THE HELP- The cast, setting and direction all comes together in this nicely scripted film.
- HUGO- This original adventure is unlike no other for the year.
- MISSION: IMPOSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL- The IMAX presentation is what makes this action thriller a standout and heads above the rest.
- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES- Probably one of the best sequel efforts by a fine ensemble cast that puts it all together.
- HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATLY HALLOWS 2- One of the best summations, presentations and productions of any series of films.
- SOURCE CODE- A unique script that can keep an audience guessing till the very end.
- REAL STEEL- One of the best father and son films ever wrapped in an exciting fantasy.
- 30 MINUTES OR LESS- I could hardly catch my breath from the laughter this fun film produces.
- 50/50- It's the kind of film that every director wishes they can achieve considering the subject matter, ‘laughter being the best medicine'.
It gets very hard choosing only ten films from the many so I have included a few more from my favorite genres. Here is my top ten selected in the following categories: Drama, Action, Adventure, Comedy and Science Fiction
TOP 10 DRAMA FILMS 2011
- THE HELP
- IRON LADY
- MY WEEK WITH MARILYN
- MARGIN CALL
- MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE
- THE DESCENDANTS
- EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE
- THE LINCOLN LAWYER
TOP 10 ACTION & HORROR FILMS 2011
- MISSION: IMPOSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL
- SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS
- FAST FIVE
- KILLER ELITE
- THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
- FINAL DESTINATION 5
- FRIGHT NIGHT
TOP 10 ADVENTURE FILMS 2011
- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES
- WAR HORSE
- CARS 2
- THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
- THE RUM DIARY
- THE MUPPETS
- GNOMEO & JULIET
- PUSS IN BOOTS
TOP 10 COMEDY FILMS 2011
- 30 MINUTES OR LESS
- A HERALD AND KUMAR 3D CHRISTMAS
- THE ARTIST
- WIN WIN
- THE HANGOVER PART 2
- CEDAR RAPIDS
- A GOOD OLD FASHIONED ORGY
- TAKE ME HOME TONIGHT
TOP 10 SCIENCE FICTION, FANTASY FILMS 2011
- SOURCE CODE
- HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATLY HALLOWS PT. 2
- REAL STEEL
- SUPER 8
- RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
- THE SKIN I LIVE IN
- THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN PT. 1
- TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON
Be sure to countdown to your favorite upcoming films of 2012 with FlickDirect's free moviie hype app.
About John Delia
comments powered by Disqus
Today's iTunes Digital HD Deals
The Eye WAS:
Secret in Their Eyes WAS:
Wedding Crashers WAS:
The Dictator WAS:
Hacksaw Ridge WAS:
Don Jon WAS:
The Gift WAS: