20th Century Studios is proud to announce that "Avatar" has assumed the #1 position at the global box office this weekend 13 years after its original release in 2009, earning $30.5M ($10M domestically and $20.5M internationally) according to Comscore.
The film was re-released globally, ahead of the film's long-anticipated release of "Avatar: The Way of Water". It is the highest-grossing film of all-time.
· Opened #1 in France, Italy, Belgium, Bosnia, Croatia, Hungary, Oman, Qatar, Romania, Slovenia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Ecuador.
· Opened as the #1 non-local title in Czech Rep, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea and Vietnam.
· Avatar (re-release) posted higher openings than Titanic (2012 3D re-release) in France, Brazil, Mexico, Qatar, Romania, Czech Rep, Israel, Turkey, Ukraine, Kuwait, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Philippines, Vietnam, Chile, Colombia, Peru and many smaller European markets.
· Looking at like-for-like territories, the opening weekend of $20.5M was higher than the entire run of Spider-Man: No Way Home (2022 re-release), +37% ahead of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (2012 3D re-release) and -19% below Titanic (2012 3D re-release), which opened during the Easter holidays.
· Internationally, around 75% of box office came from 3D/4D/IMAX formats, with many markets posting especially high % shares. As a comparison, Avengers: Endgame was around 27%.
· Avatar (re-release) opened #3 domestically with $10.0M for the weekend.
· Playing in a select 1,860 theatres, Avatar's $10.0M weekend is +85% ahead of the re-release for Spider-Man: No Way Home from Labor Day weekend ($5.4M from 3,935 theatres).
· The overwhelming 93% 3D share compares to the opening weekend of 2009's Avatar (74% 3D | 26% 2D). The 3D support is encouraging considering the usual 2D-dominant shares of recent tentpoles released in both formats (Thor: Love and Thunder - 90% 2D | 10% 3D).
"Avatar: The Way of Water" will premiere on December 16, 2022.